Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:44 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 3   [ 70 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Fuckin' Fuzz Pedals
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:36 am 

I also have a fuzzgod.
I like it with humbuckers, but find the fuzz range isnt very broad, and the wrath switch completely unusable. i do like the ability to mimic a dying battery, though.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:24 am 

Quote:
i like my muff black, and i ain't just talkin' about my pedal, IF YA KNOW WHAT I MEAN.

hahaha!

you should get that ole' green muff on ebay or somethin scarab iv seen them go for around $150..

check out the muff museum...

http://www.big-muff.net/big_muff.php?d=23

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:24 am 

My Blackout Effectors Musket Fuzz 2 is in the post from the states, cant wait.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:50 am 

i love my big muff pi.

got a black one from ebay for $20 about 6 years ago. the greens weren't that pricey back then, should've grabbed that too. i've had my eye on a woolly mammoth for a while but no cash.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:18 pm 

i just got this today. the combination of the octave, gain, sag, and feedback give it some killer fuzz tones. i got to try out prototypes, but tonight will be my first time using the finished product. i'm pretty excited.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:42 pm 

Mr Neutron wrote:
I also have a fuzzgod.
I like it with humbuckers, but find the fuzz range isnt very broad, and the wrath switch completely unusable. i do like the ability to mimic a dying battery, though.

I agree. The wrath function is oscillaion and I feel the same way about oscillation in fuzz in general (Fuzz Factory, etc, as well)....I rarely use it, and it seems like fuzz nerds on gear forums that I go to are always asking about fuzzes with oscillation, but rarely do I hear it ever used on records or in any live band capacity. I feel the same about ring mod pedals.....I use them here and there for noisier bits, but as far as any real practicality goes, it's pretty tough to find a big use for them. Oscillation is pretty much equivalent to parsley on a great plate of food.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:45 pm 

mountain of iron wrote:
i just got this today. the combination of the octave, gain, sag, and feedback give it some killer fuzz tones. i got to try out prototypes, but tonight will be my first time using the finished product. i'm pretty excited.

Nice! How's the sag? Is it a bias control? IMHO, all fuzzes should come with a bias, just because I find that silicon is too smooth sometimes, and germanium can be too bright and harsh at times.....biasing usually gives that extra possible flavour and that blown out velcro, pinched sounding attack.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:17 pm 

the sag is phenomenal (at least on the prototypes i tried).
you can crack it open and adjust the bias, but he's got it set pretty much perfect.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:12 am 

I always liked the RAT might have to pick one up again - always sounded fuzzy to me.
here's a RAT (a modded one)

But here's a couple oddballs thought I'd post for the gearheads:

Glenn Wyllie Fuzzmite (major $expensive$ boutique stuff) but fun to know about? If you google Glenn Wyllie his mindspring page will show - lotta cool pedals but major coinage.
http://home.mindspring.com/~wylo/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/fuzzmite05.wav

The Spaghetti Western Fuzz:
Been wanting one of these in a bad way. (same with the Magnavibe)
http://mysite.ncnetwork.net/reszyz1w/bi ... atopedal2/

i gotta mega modded muff clone with germanium or something in it but forgot the name of it. Back later sometime with that one after I dig it up.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:22 am 

I really like my Fuzz Factory. You can get some insane sounds out of it and it sounds AWESOME on bass.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:49 am 

I'm pretty much sold on getting a Zvex Mastotron, anyone here has it? Sounds pretty sick from what I gather from internet videos. I'm also almost sold on the Wicker Tone Big Muff. In fact, I suppose I should choose. Which one to get first, at least. I'm thinking Mastotron. Although I don't dig all the fine tuning detail such as the impedance knob and the wave knob. I just want a general doom riffage fuzz, not so much into the crazy effects / sputter department. But it has pretty sick tone. The wicker tone muff seems to have that also, albeit differently... like a un-vintage muff. The other one, though, seems like crazy stuff. I hate having to choose from shitty computer speakers, but I definitely will have to order, no way I'll be able to physically compare. Suggestions?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:02 am 

I'll take use of video the embeddabilty here...

PS - didn't mention I'm considering the Mastotron 'cause I wanna' try it on bass too. I've read it's good on that, since it has that sub switch, but I don't wanna' "add" lows to my sound, I'd rather not substract them in the first place... then this one seems to fiddle with higher freqs for fuzzyness, so I guess the lows will pass unaffected. I really hate not being able to try pedals out myself.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHgyS1h0oII[/youtube]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHgyS1h0oII

edit: Ok this thing doesn't love me. Can't embed youtube.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:13 am 

^^^

I don't know how the mastotron sounds on bass but the fuzz factory sounds awesome. I doubt that the mastotron wouldn't sound awesome. z vex makes some nice pedals.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:16 pm 

Marcos Coifman wrote:
I'm pretty much sold on getting a Zvex Mastotron, anyone here has it? Sounds pretty sick from what I gather from internet videos. I'm also almost sold on the Wicker Tone Big Muff. In fact, I suppose I should choose. Which one to get first, at least. I'm thinking Mastotron. Although I don't dig all the fine tuning detail such as the impedance knob and the wave knob. I just want a general doom riffage fuzz, not so much into the crazy effects / sputter department. But it has pretty sick tone. The wicker tone muff seems to have that also, albeit differently... like a un-vintage muff. The other one, though, seems like crazy stuff. I hate having to choose from shitty computer speakers, but I definitely will have to order, no way I'll be able to physically compare. Suggestions?

The Mastotron is great. It's rectified alot of the problems that i've found with the Fuzz Factory (still love the FF though), in that you have a tone control and more bass options.

Between the Mastotron and the Muff with Wicker, the Mastotron has more tweakability (and is in some cases even preferable to a Fuzz Factory), whereas the Muff with wicker is a Muff, but with better mids and less scooped-ness. Depends whether you want the Muff type sound or something with a different flavour......FWIW, you're moreso locked into the Muff sound even with the Wicker Muff, whereas you can get some pretty crazy, weird, different and blown out sounds with the Mastotron. You're not as locked into one specific sound. But you'll also have to pay more for the Mastotron.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:23 am 

marcos, the only part of the utoob code you need is after the "=" sign

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:49 am 

The Mastotron is great, the subs switch is great it goes from normal to bassy to humongous low end. I'd say it's an excellent pedal for doom and I've wondered how come there has been so little talk about in in the Jam Room. It's not a crazy weird sound generator at all, it's definitely not a Fuzz Factory, it's very easy to dial in great and usable tones. I haven't really tried it on bass, but our keyboard player is currently using it, because I already have four dirt boxes on my pedalboard and can't fit another one. heh.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:24 am 

I liked the original green Muff.

Right now, I'm using an Analogman AstroTone Fuzz. It doesn't do the extra fizzy/gurgling sounding fuzz like a germanium would, but it does give a good cross between just distortion and fuzz, but it cuts through in the mix very well. Not too sloppy with chords either. I'm pretty happy with it, plus it's a small box, so it fits well on the pedalboard.

Revebnation
LastFM

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:12 pm 

Volume wrote:
The Mastotron is great, the subs switch is great it goes from normal to bassy to humongous low end. I'd say it's an excellent pedal for doom and I've wondered how come there has been so little talk about in in the Jam Room. It's not a crazy weird sound generator at all, it's definitely not a Fuzz Factory, it's very easy to dial in great and usable tones. I haven't really tried it on bass, but our keyboard player is currently using it, because I already have four dirt boxes on my pedalboard and can't fit another one. heh.

Here's my analysis--the Mastotron kind of gets lost in the shuffle, because the Fuzz Factory has a bigger reputation, and ZVex's more affordable line (the Distortron and Mastotron) are sort of frowned upon by the boutique type pedal buyers that helped build ZVex's reputation. Hardcore ZVex guys still buy the Myrold handpainted ones and still tend to prefer the Vexter series....at least from what i've seen. The Mastotron is overall a better pedal than the Fuzz Factory, but the FF's craziness and unpredictability (i've sworn that the temperature affects the pedal) continues to be that weird and wonderful mystery.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:56 pm 

I mainly use my black big muff, personally modded by myself. I removed the tone stack, added a voltage drain, and I have a mix of germanium and silicon diodes in there. I like the idea of adding more options with the diodes tho. A switch with several options would be a fun project.

I've built a wooley mammoth clone. It was ok. Kinda touchy. I don't use it. I've also built a meathead clone and that's on my board before the wah. It really makes that wah scream, and it was already a nice wah. I put a color changing LED in the meathead and that thing adds this weird subtle oscillation that sounds like an rc plane. It goes up, then it goes down as it changes colors. I agree on the bias knob being a crucial feature on some fuzz pedals. The voltage drain on my muff works in a similar way, in that it gives you more tonal options. I had a bias pot on the meathead at first, but it blew out for some reason. I put in another and in no time it also blew out, meaning it stopped working except when fully turned up. The same thing eventually happened on the wooley mammoth, so I got rid of those pots. Not sure why it happened, but I wouldn't be surprised if I have something wired funny, considering that I'm a bit of a hack.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:45 am 

if anyone is interested in checking out that bomes octa-tron, he made a demo vieo. he has a couple left at 150. i love mine.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EohBueigvVQ[/youtube]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:25 pm 

much thanks for all the input (including the youtube thing). Mastotron it is.

Now why would some pedal companies choose to NOT ship overseas?? Same thing happened to me when I tried to buy Grado cans. I'll have to inconvenience a friend to get it. Shall be done.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:18 pm 

i have and sometimes still use the big muff pi
but overall, i like this little dude.
MXR distortion plus.
i use this with a bass, btw, seems like it doesn't kill the low end like some other pedals do.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:06 pm 

I use a ZVEX Fuzz Factory. I've been using it for 7 years now and I've never changed the battery. It sounds amazing.

I also use an MXR Blue Box and generally roll off the octave divider effect since it's so unstable that it's kind of useless unless you write around it and not with it. The fuzz it does is way more brutal than what the Fuzz Factory does.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:04 am 

hochi666 wrote:
I also use an MXR Blue Box and generally roll off the octave divider effect since it's so unstable that it's kind of useless unless you write around it and not with it. The fuzz it does is way more brutal than what the Fuzz Factory does.

For a less glitchy octave effect you can turn down the tone on your guitar and/or use the neck pickup. It also seems to track better with higher riffs, around the 12th fret.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:40 pm 

worm wrote:
i have and sometimes still use the big muff pi
but overall, i like this little dude.
MXR distortion plus.
i use this with a bass, btw, seems like it doesn't kill the low end like some other pedals do.

I use one of these for guitar. I find it cuts and tightens up the low end just a little bit, adds some treble and presence, and just enough gain to get my amp into full blown saturation.

I also have an Everman Fuzzdrive, which I love, but pretty much only use with Marshalls. It makes them sound awesome, really smooth on the midrange and with a nice touch of creamy lows.

I was here, but I dis-appare. You can get it if you really want, but you must try, try and try, you succeed at last.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 3   [ 70 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next