Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:04 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
 Post subject: Jex Thoth - Blood Moon Rise (2013)
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:47 pm 

Better than the s/t. The Heavier stuff is heavier. The Wyrd stuff is more wyrd. Vox is in the best form yet with some stunning lyrical ideas. (Wish the CD came with a lyric sheet.) The recording, mixing and mastering are all brilliant. You can tell alot of care and detail went into the production of this album. Music made to be listened to in a dedicated listening space. A definite keeper & this is my #1 CD for 2013.
I've got a thing for female vox fronted bands and Jex Thoth is w/o a doubt one of my fave working bands. Don't think i've been this impressed with an LP front to back since first hearing the Cocteau Twins. That's very high praise from me as the Cocteau Twins are one of my fave bands.
Only disappointment here, like the first CD, is the rather sparse CD packaging. In order to get most people to actually buy a physical CD now-a-days, there should be something extra there. A sad state, but it is what it is....

Post subject: Re: Jex Thoth - Blood Moon Rise (2013)
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:32 pm 

Nice, have heard a lot about these guys here and there but haven't really listened much. Recommend a track or two?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:32 pm 

http://theobelisk.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6688
Couple good tracks in this thread.
Jex Thoth has matured beyond the retro "Occult Doom" schtick and now comfortably occupies her own realm with this release. One of the best sounding contemporary CDs in recent memory, i.e. not brickwalled but instead dynamic, nuanced and textured. Like ghosts haunting vintage monoblocks and horn-loaded loudspeakers.... \m/

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:59 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:21 am 

I have finally been spending some time with both Jex Thoth albums and so far I'm digging the first one a bit more. I like the muddy production and her vocals sound more passionate...there also seem to be more vocal hooks. I may change my mind once B.M.R. sinks in more but either way love all of it. Also I'm confused as to why she/they get branded as "doom". I don't hear a lot of doom going on.
Nice Cocteau Twins reference too BTW. I too grew up listening to Garlands and tripping out over the (at the time) mysterious sounds they produced.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]