Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:24 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
 Post subject: KADAVAR - Kadavar
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:26 am 

Not to be confused with the death metal band of the same name, Kadavar is a 70s style heavy rock/doom band from Germany that has hit the ground running with their self-titled LP released a few months back in Europe and just recently in the U.S. through Tee Pee. I've read several reviews of late, all favorable--some to the point of gushing, and if not for a particularly heavy buying spree during that period I would have had the euro vinyl version in my hands a while ago. Budgetary reasons caused me to step in with caution and get the CD from Tee Pee, which came to me earlier this week. I should have grabbed the vinyl 2 months ago. Damn this is good.

I was immediately reminded of my first listen to Witchcraft's S/T way back when, although Kadavar is heavier. Graveyard is also an obvious comparison, but again, Kadavar throws in a fair amount of doom, which I don't hear in Graveyard at all. For me that is a huge plus. Regardless, Kadavar do tread familiar ground, but they carry their way down that road far better than most.

I'm sure this band is going to catch a lot of attention. The vinyl version continues to get pressed and repressed, so clearly they are building a good following already. If you like your retro metal mixed with a good dose of doom, pick this up.

Post subject: Re: KADAVAR - Kadavar
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:33 am 

The name turned me off (Like 'uncle acid and the deadbeats'....uuugggg!) so I never thought to give them a listen.
Glad I clicked on this thread ;)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:58 pm 

"Black Sun" is the highlight for me right now, but this is one of those albums where each song is a potential highlight. You will not be cueing forward here.

I do have one criticism: at 34 minutes, the album is too short. I am so thoroughly hooked listening to this that when "Purple Sage" ends, I'm not even close to being ready.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:34 pm 

Damocles74 wrote:

"A lot of people hate this hat. It angers a lot of people, just the sight of it."

Neil Fallon: “Life with a 3 year old is life with a violent drunk. The yelling, the hitting, the tears, the promises, and finally, the urine.”

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:10 am 

Damocles74 wrote:
The name turned me off (Like 'uncle acid and the deadbeats'....uuugggg!) so I never thought to give them a listen.
Glad I clicked on this thread ;)

if you don't mind lower quality there are two more tracks from kadavar on youtube; one from a split e.p. and another from ? but both are good jams and I tacked them on the end of their LP on a cdr for sustained listening pleasure.....

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:59 pm 

Think I might pick this up soon just out of curiosity. I don't mind what I have heard so far.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]