Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:45 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]
 Post subject: Small Stone Boston Showcase, Mid East, 3/28/14
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:42 am 

I'll try to be as unbiased as possible with this, but figured this show was definitely worth a little write up. I'm sure JJ will do a more comprehensive review with proper punctuation and correct spelling but screw it, here we go.

This was a stacked bill with six Small Stone bands ready to deliver the rock. First up was Neon Warship, this was my first time seeing them. Basic power trio format, lots of riffs and hair. The singer went into the upper register a few times which gave the vocal lines some diversity. Nothing in particular stood out to me but the whole set was solid. Will definitely do my homework on these guys though cuz I like riffs.

Roadsaw went on second, which had a few people scratching their heads. Well, it was either that or lice. Anyway, new drummer Kyle Rasmussen tore it up, and the rest of the band was in fine form, playin' a bunch of classic Saw, including "Black Flower". Not much more to say. It's Roadsaw, they rocked, we drank, end of story.

Gozu crammed three guitarists up on the stage next. Shit sounded big, because three guitarists, duh. Gaff's vocals shone through the distortion and low end, while new drummer Mike Hubbard drove the band and beat the shit out of his drums. Some heads were definitely nodding during this set.

Lo-Pan. Holy crap. These dudes can basically do no wrong at this point, unless of course they get a horn section and start playing ska. Tons of new material was aired, all of it killer. I know I've said it before, but if any band is gonna carry the torch of Only Living Witness, it's Lo-Pan. Heavy riffs, melodic and soaring vocals, and tight drumming add up to epic songs. They make it look so easy. New album, which they're starting to record in a couple of days, is gonna level cities.

This was also my first time seeing Wo Fat live. Dude had the thickest, nastiest, most molasses sounding guitar sound of the night. I think I saw mud oozing out of the grill cloth of the cab. Vocals? They're there somewhere underneath all of the sludge, but really, it doesn't matter, because the whole thing just sounded so cool. Filthy.

Mellow Bravo closed out the night with a heavy rockin', high energy set. Vocalists Keith Pierce and Jess Collins both shone and the rest of the band just flat out went for it. It's like arena rock crammed into a small club. Rippin' guitar solos provided by Mr. Jeff Fultz, who has up and moved, so this was his last show with them for a while. A fine close to a great night of rock, played to a packed house. These six bands proved that there is indeed life in stoner rock/metal/MUSIC, whatever the hell you wanna call it. Kudos all around.

*edited for spelling

Last edited by scarab cadaver on Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Small Stone Boston Showcase, Mid East, 3/28/14
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:52 pm 

Should have hit that up because I had to bail early a couple years ago and missed Roadsaw. Plus Lo Pan rules.

Post subject: Re: Small Stone Boston Showcase, Mid East, 3/28/14
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:30 pm 

All 6 bands were fantastic but the Roadsaw-Gozu-Lo Pan 'trio' was absolutely amazing! A great night of music! Thank you, Small Stone!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]