Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:04 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ]
 Post subject: High on Fire,Goatwhore,Primate,Lo-Pan-Mid East Down,11/24/12
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:06 am 

I’m sitting here drinking Merlot and trying to decipher what I just saw. This was a stacked line-up if there ever was one. Four bands blowing your head off with distortion, riffs and “Yes, I mean it” vocals. Holy shit. Okay.

Lo-Pan delivered the fucking riffs like Lo-Pan does. Like a current Only Living Witness, if you will. And you will. See, you can’t argue with songs like this. You wanna fuck with “El Dorado”? Go ahead, be my guest. Let me know when someone else writes a song like this again. Moving on…

Primate are the Blind Faith of the underground metal world. A supergroup if there ever was one. Why aren’t they wearing capes? Look, you’ve got Kevin Sharp from Brutal Truth and Bill Kelliher from Mastodon in this fucking band. No disrespect to the other three guys at all, but I have no idea who they are. Did they rule? Yes, they did. And this was after they broke down on the way to Boston in some Maryland hellhole and basically were lucky to escape with all of their organs intact and accounted for. Throw in some Black Flag and it’s nothing but win at that point.

Holy double kick, Batman. Goatwhore weren’t fucking around at all. They started their set with no hesitation and began pummeling the audience straight off, no build up. It was basically like getting your head chopped off while you weren’t paying attention. What followed was a barrage of guitar solos, incensed bellowing and double kick upon double kick. Here, put your head on this jackhammer, you might like it.

High On Fucking Fire. Matt Pike is the best guitar player on the planet right now. Do not question this. Dude was pulling out some Mahavishnu shit during solos. Basically it was a cross of Motorhead and early Larry Coryell (look him up). All the shit was played. “10,000 Years”destroyed everything. The whole band was in top form, including Pike, whose stint in rehab only made his playing tighter and more focused, like laser guided napalm. One of the best performances I’ve ever been witness to, no doubt.

Post subject: Re: High on Fire,Goatwhore,Primate,Lo-Pan-Mid East Down,11/2
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:11 am 

Thanks for the write up. I'm super bummed that I have to miss this tour. Lo-Pan fucking slays live.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:56 pm 

Saw 'em in DC on Friday and echo everything said about High on Fire and Matt Pike, what an incredible display of awesome playing.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:21 pm 

Right on. I knew the monitor guy so I was able to stand on Pike's side of the stage not very far from his amps during their set, the guitar sound was fierce. Fucking amazing. Dude's playing better than ever.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:33 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:38 pm 

Lo-Pan and Stephen King. So awesome.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:12 pm 

I saw the Toronto date. I thought Pike's playing had a new clarity and attack to it, even if he seemed to have a little less of the reckless abandon on stage. And man, they were loud. Small grumble that there was nothing from SBT and they tended towards the faster stuff...good to see him in such fine shape. Yeah, I got the Mahavishnu vibe too from some of the solos. I've seen them a bunch of times and this was the best they played. I missed Lo Pan and Primate but got to say hey to Kevin Sharp. Caught enough of Goatwhore to wish I'd missed em. Yeah, heavy and all that but no danger or chaos to anything they're doing...not my cup of tea.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:08 am 

rube wrote:
Caught enough of Goatwhore to wish I'd missed em. Yeah, heavy and all that but no danger or chaos to anything they're doing...not my cup of tea.

I saw them like five or six years ago and that was my verdict as well. And the dude never shut his yap in the entire length of any of their songs. Big turn-off for music based mainly on the strength of its riffs.

This package is playing here in two weeks and I'm very interested in seeing this new reindition of Matt Pike. His barbaric/drunk live attack on their material (which is definitely geared toward that vibe) was one of the band's greatest charms for me.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:31 pm 

I was at the (east coast) Portland show last night and echo everyone’s statements about High On Fire and Matt Pike. I was directly in front of Pike for their entire set, no more than 10 feet from his amps/cabs…without a doubt the loudest experience of my. I’m wondering how long the ringing will last…didn’t even think to bring ear plugs…not that they wouldn’t have helped. I have visual evidence that Matt Pike can still play guitar with a shirt on…sorta...it was a black wife-beater.

First time seeing Lo-Pan and they rocked. Love the rhythm section groove. Great bassist. They had said they met SK earlier in the day, probably in Bangor on the way down from Canada.

Primate were ok. I wouldn’t make the effort to see them on their own, but they were better than a lot of opening bands these days. Bill from Mastodon was just hanging out too…no rock star ego, that was cool to see. Loved Kevin Sharp’s shout-out to Lewiston, my hometown (what was that all about anyway).

Goatwhore…is there anyone who hasn’t seen them more than once? Is there anyone they haven’t toured with? I don’t think they have actual homes. Nomads. And their music is Sludgy nomadic-USBM. I like it, but it always feels the same. After 15 minutes I was ready for HOF. Whatever happened to Soilent Green?

All in all, it was a great way to spend my 42nd birthday.

Neil Fallon: “Life with a 3 year old is life with a violent drunk. The yelling, the hitting, the tears, the promises, and finally, the urine.”

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:53 am 

I wondered about Soilent Green too. That was a way cool band that never really got their due. Plenty of chaos there!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:18 pm 

Soilent Green played Roadburn 2011.

They were nice and heavy, with a tasty sludgey bass sound. Last I heard of them anyway.

I'm envious of this bill, we get HoF over here in February but no sign of Lo-Pan making it over the Atlantic.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ]