Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:16 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]
 Post subject: Fu Manchu 11/15/11 Santos Party House NYC
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:11 am 

::exhales::

Great gig, very fun.

Got there around 6:30, had mcrib to hold me over 'til I could grab a bite after the gig. Smoked some cigarettes, chatted with our taskmaster, and Damon, some guy from France. And another guy. And my good deed for the day was giving my extra ticket to a homeless Occupy Wallstreet protester. Didn't see him on the inside, so maybe he pawned it and got some much needed cash, either way, I did my part.

They let us in late, around 8, 8:10. I was first in line and headed straight for the merch. Picked up a copy of In Search Of on CD, which I used to own, but lost in the great purge of last year. Also picked the in search of shirt and a shrine button for my bag.

8:30 rolls around, and The Shrine come on. Very good band. Very fun. Sort of sounded like the MC5 but mixed with stoner riffs sprinkled in for good measure here and there. Blistering guitar solos. I'm glad I didn't miss them.

Had another cig, and waited for Honky, who I was told I probably wouldn't like. They were...alright. Two long white beards with cowboy hats and a drummer. ZZ Top version of metal, I guess. Had a little slide guitar. Apparently they're very humorous gentleman; I enjoyed the introductions to the songs. "This one's about anal sex and skateboards, this one's called overeasy and is about rough sex and breakfasts. This one's about our three favorite things, and it's called plugs, mugs, and jugs." They (covered) some song they said they wrote in 1973 (when they were what? 10?) with the line "snortin' whiskey, drinkin' cocaine". Any idea who wrote/performed that? I'd like to hear the original. Someone said it was Pat Travers. They brought Bob of Fu Manchu out for the final guitar soloing of their set. Overall, I wouldn't say I'm a fan, I didn't buy Balls Out Inn, but they had my head bobbing, so I wasn't displeased.

Met up with Lisa and L Ron at some point, chatted a bit. Great finally meeting both of you!

One more cigarette, another bottle of water, and the wait for the Fu. Which didn't take long, they went on around 10:45? I forget the name of the song they opened with, but next came Boogie Man, Evil Eye, and then their entire album In Search Of. After they finished that, they left, and came back out for a two-song encore of Wierd Beard and fuckin' Godzilla, which was amazing, as they welcomed the Honky boys back on stage. Fu Manchu sounded on the whole more metallic than on record, and it worked with the fat grooves, but I was just expecting a more stoner tone, I guess. Not saying I didn't dig the set. My neck does hurt.

JJ, great seeing you again, looking forward to your review with some of the pics you took. Lisa, L Ron, again, great meeting you. See you all next year as this was my last gig of 2011.

Post subject: Re: Fu Manchu 11/15/11 Santos Party House NYC
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:42 am 

Decided to go to this show at the very last minute and am glad I did. All the bands were great but the highlight for me was Honky's cover of "Snortin Whiskey." FUCK YEAH!!

Post subject: Re: Fu Manchu 11/15/11 Santos Party House NYC
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:17 pm 

Thanks for the review, seeing them in DC tomorrow.

Bass player for Honky is Jeff Pinkus of Butthole Surfers. They have been around for a long time, they had a 10" on Man's Ruin. "Snortin' Whiskey" is indeed Pat Travers.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]