Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:03 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]
 Post subject: Sports without cable
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:48 pm 

I am thinking of cutting the chord on cable and buying a Roku or similar device instead. I understand the pros and cons of making this decision regarding watching sitcoms and movies but less clear about how this will impact my ability to watch baseball and football. Anyone know?

Post subject: Re: Sports without cable
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:34 pm 

MLB.tv is available on Roku. It's a fine option if your team is not in your market, but if you live in, say, the market area for the Cards and want to watch the cards on MLB.tv you're shit out of luck due to blackout restrictions.

The NFL doesn't seem to have an option for live viewing, or at least not one that's as easy to acquire as MLB.tv. They have something called "Game Rewind" that lets you watch games after they're over, but I don't personally see the appeal in that. In any case, it doesn't look like the app is available on any set top boxes.

I would assume you could get around all of this with a Slingbox and a Roku, but it's not an easy workaround. You would have to hook up the Slingbox in the home of someone you know that still has cable access and an unused coax outlet that they'll never use, and then get the Slingplayer app for Roku (which is probably expensive as hell, if the mobile app prices are anything to judge by). Slingbox lets you view your TV over the internet, but you can't use it at the same time as someone that's watching TV using the same input.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:08 pm 

MLB.tv will work for my baseball fix. I will be moving into an area where the local market won't be my team, so blackouts shouldn't be an issue.

As for football, that one will be more interesting. I was able to find free nfl streaming online last year (tried it once when i wasn't around a tv) so maybe I will just have to suffice with that for the year. Your alternative sounds like a lot of work and I will be in an area where I don't know anyone.

Thanks for the info.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:13 am 

just quit watching baseball and football. then hit it and quit it again.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:40 am 

I did this a while back and I'm glad I did. I stream baseball and hockey which seems to work for me. If it's a game I really want to see i'll hit the bar.

For football I got one of these.

Works great. Actually better clearer HD than I was getting with my cable company. It's pretty easy to hook up, just put it up on the side of your house/apartment and point it toward the closest signal in your area. I'm pretty close to the transmission here so it works great.

The further you are from the TV stations the worse the signal so keep that in mind.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:50 am 

Cool, will definitely look into that.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:13 pm 

Cable is the reason that I watch sports almost exclusively. Really only watched basketball and a little hockey in high school, barely anything else until I was a couple years into having my own place. I got cable and all of a sudden all I wanted to do was watch sports. I hate sitcoms and I sometimes have a hard time sitting through a whole movie, but I'll watch five baseball games at once for four hours straight. It's a drug, man.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:40 pm 

RalphSnart wrote:
Cable is the reason that I watch sports almost exclusively. Really only watched basketball and a little hockey in high school, barely anything else until I was a couple years into having my own place. I got cable and all of a sudden all I wanted to do was watch sports. I hate sitcoms and I sometimes have a hard time sitting through a whole movie, but I'll watch five baseball games at once for four hours straight. It's a drug, man.

I agree. Definitely a mental sedative at best, mind control at worst (if you can't recognize it).

I got hooked at an early age.

Not to mention that the teams within our area have been winning championships for the last ten plus years. If you had a heroin crop duster flying around it would probably have less of a grip on the public.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:04 pm 

"Bread and Circus", as they say. But in terms of philosophically questionable entertainment, it's better than public executions. We've progressed as a society.

Although in some places they still occasionally kill the goalies if the soccer team loses.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:27 pm 

Getting cable internet installed next week coz have a Smart TV now. May do pay-per-view streaming once in awhile. But for the most part, i just go to my local to watch the Timbers or occ. Champions League footie match. I don't consider myself a "Sports Guy."

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]