Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:49 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 26 of 73   [ 1806 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 73  Next
 Post subject: Re: OFFICIAL BEER THREAD
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:24 am 

VanBrudenrijden wrote:
Anyone know where i can get some Dulle Teve from De Dolle in the Denver Metro area?

We still had some last time I was down at Falling Rock.

As for in stores, not so sure. I haven't seen it too often in stores. Check Tipsy's (gigantic store) out to the west of you at 470 & Bowles.

Total Beverage at 95th & Sheridan off I-36 might have some.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:34 am 

MILLION MAN wrote:

You can't get a box already from here?
http://shop.belgianshop.com/acatalog/in ... 30911.html

$360 is a bit rich for my tastes though.

Got god-damn Calcium Oxalate problems with my beers because of the local water. Now I need to learn about water chemistry as well as teaching myself to make good beers. Shit never ends.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:13 pm 

NCR600 wrote:
MILLION MAN wrote:

You can't get a box already from here?
http://shop.belgianshop.com/acatalog/in ... 30911.html

$360 is a bit rich for my tastes though.

Got god-damn Calcium Oxalate problems with my beers because of the local water. Now I need to learn about water chemistry as well as teaching myself to make good beers. Shit never ends.

That Westvleteren looks like a resale from the European release. I don't know what it'll cost when it comes out in the US, but $60 would probably be on the way high end.

Not sure if your brewing problem is calcium oxalate, but if it is that sounds like a cleansing issue:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calcium_oxalate

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:49 am 

spiritualleader wrote:
Not sure if your brewing problem is calcium oxalate, but if it is that sounds like a cleansing issue:

Pretty sure it's a local issue with the pipes in our building. My mashtun/kettle is pretty spotless, and other brewers in my area haven't reported an issue. I think I need to add calcium carbonate to the mash to bring the Ph down to a level that'll allow the Calcium Oxalate to preciptate out in the fermenter and not in the bottle, but without proper testing gear, I'm unsure. Was going to brew tomorrow, but I'll postpone until I'm sure of what I'm doing.

There's an RO water plant at work, so I should be able to use that as a base to create any water profile from anywhere in the world with a little research!

Science + Cooking = Beer!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:06 pm 

NCR600 wrote:
spiritualleader wrote:

Pretty sure it's a local issue with the pipes in our building. My mashtun/kettle is pretty spotless, and other brewers in my area haven't reported an issue. I think I need to add calcium carbonate to the mash to bring the Ph down to a level that'll allow the Calcium Oxalate to preciptate out in the fermenter and not in the bottle, but without proper testing gear, I'm unsure. Was going to brew tomorrow, but I'll postpone until I'm sure of what I'm doing.

There's an RO water plant at work, so I should be able to use that as a base to create any water profile from anywhere in the world with a little research!

Science + Cooking = Beer!

Having a water profile will help immensely.
Would adding finings help clear it out post-fermentation?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:29 am 

Dunno if using finings in the fermenter will help this. I've used carageenen finings in the kettle and the last brew I put down I used a PVPP based kettle fining called brewbrite everyone raves about. Been leery of using Isinglas or Gelatin finings in the fermenter because I share my brew with some vegan crusty dudes, and even though the animal product doesn't make it to the glass, they wouldn't drink it. I'm cool with slightly cloudy/hazy beer, and you really can't avoid it if you naturally carb in the bottle anyway.

I'm enjoying my first home made cider tonight. It cost me less than 1 dollar per 750ml bottle to make, and was way easier than making beer. It's actually pretty good too, but needs a bit more work before I'll be happy with it. Mrs. NCR is happy enough with it, she's passed out on the floor!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:36 am 

I will be brewing my first first hefeweizen batch and first mead batch tommorow. I'm stoked about both.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:44 am 

Friday Night B&C. Started with an Ommegang Hennepin and Humboldt Fog..
then had a Jolly Pumpkin La Roja, with some aged cheeses..
Heading to The Bruery today to pick up reserve society allocations then hitting Bootleggers and a "new" (to me) place called Old Orange Brewing.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:23 pm 

ImageImage

Currently enjoying the latest offering from Funkwerks, Aurora. Quite good.

Only tried this and Tropic King from Funkwerks, but definitely a fan of both with Tropic King being my favorite of the two. Gonna have to check out the rest of their stuff in good time as FW does seem to be one of Colorado's best breweries.

I keep going to the store wanting to grab a Russian River offering and keep passing because they are all just so expensive.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:04 pm 

still on a budget, I've been sippin through "suitcase" 24-packs of Yuengling Premium
Not to be confused with the delicious and still affordable Yuengling Traditional Lager. No, this "Premium" stuff is Y's version of a Bud or ya know, regular ass beer.

Also had a few Molson Canadians (I know, I'm wowing you fellas with beer cred) tonight as a "thank you" from my brother for helping him move today.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:11 pm 

Intended to have the Aurora while I watched the game, but that obviously changed when I couldn't wait and opened it last night. Instead, I am now drinking a Red Chair NWPA from Deschutes...what an absolutely fantastic beer.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:19 pm 

We consumed a couple different beers this weekend:

The wife had a glass of Epic's Big Bad Baptist, very coffee, some chocolate, we both enjoyed it. At the same restaurant, I had a snifter of Three Floyds' Dreadnaught-nice. Also had a pint of Boulder's Mojo Risin' on nitro-meh.
Elsewhere had some $4 pints of Hopslam. I think Hopslam is overrated, but I'll drink it at $4/pint all day I can stay afloat.
Drank a couple bottles of Founders' Double Trouble, couple bottles of The Brewkettle's White Rajah, both pretty great.
Also tried a new one from Lagunitas-Imperial Red. Not bad, have to put it up against their Censored to see the difference besides the alcohol. Of course, as it's a Lagunitas, it's hoppy.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:57 pm 

Brewed beligan wheat...

The Grolsch swingtop bottles are the best EVER for homebrewing. I didn't like this beer though, I thought it was wayy to hoppy for a wheat beer, hoping the hefe in the bucket turns out better. (different yeast, different hops).

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:36 am 

lftwng4 wrote:

The wife had a glass of Epic's Big Bad Baptist, very coffee, some chocolate, we both enjoyed it. At the same restaurant, I had a snifter of Three Floyds' Dreadnaught-nice. Also had a pint of Boulder's Mojo Risin' on nitro-meh.
Elsewhere had some $4 pints of Hopslam. I think Hopslam is overrated, but I'll drink it at $4/pint all day I can stay afloat.

Boulder Beer = meh.
They don't brew very good beer. Some of it is maybe okay, but there's better beer to be had.

Hopslam is nice. Bell's quality has gone south IMO. I stopped at the brewery last summer and everything I tried was mediocre, at best. The batch 10,000 was good; tasted like the Bell's of old. But it sucks buying this, that and something else from them only to find it's not like it used to be. And for reference, I was going to Bell's when you could bring in an empty gallon of milk and fill it for $5. My opinion is screw them for sucking and buy other Michigan beer that's really good, like Founders, Short's, New Holland, Right Brain, Dark Horse, etc.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:08 am 

dickens wrote:

The Grolsch swingtop bottles are the best EVER for homebrewing. I didn't like this beer though, I thought it was wayy to hoppy for a wheat beer, hoping the hefe in the bucket turns out better. (different yeast, different hops).

What's your recipe? All-Grain, Extract or Partial?

I only have a couple of swingtops, they're both Altenmunster 2 litre jobs. I probably have about 120 crown seal 750ml Cooper's Longnecks. A few years back they changed to cheap & nasty thin twist top longnecks and their sales fell so sharply that they had to re-introduce them. Seems that the majority of their market was Homebrewers! I certainly prefer Cooper's Sparkling Ale to overpriced Grolsch anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:19 am 

spiritualleader wrote:
lftwng4 wrote:

Boulder Beer = meh.
They don't brew very good beer. Some of it is maybe okay, but there's better beer to be had.

Hopslam is nice. Bell's quality has gone south IMO. I stopped at the brewery last summer and everything I tried was mediocre, at best. The batch 10,000 was good; tasted like the Bell's of old. But it sucks buying this, that and something else from them only to find it's not like it used to be. And for reference, I was going to Bell's when you could bring in an empty gallon of milk and fill it for $5. My opinion is screw them for sucking and buy other Michigan beer that's really good, like Founders, Short's, New Holland, Right Brain, Dark Horse, etc.

Yeah, I occasionally try a Boulder Beer and it never lives up to the hope.
I kinda feel the same way about Bells too. Although I think Two Hearted is still a great IPA, and Oberon works in the summertime, not too much else they do I care about. Not terrible, but not great. I know there's always the debate if they've changed their recipe from year to year, I dunno, my palate isn't that sophisticated. Hopslam has always been kinda overrated, IMO. I usually get 1 sixer a year, just to give it a shot, but if I'm gonna pay $18/six pack, I'd take fresh Ruination any day over Hopslam. Problem is sometimes getting it fresh.
Founders and Dark Horse are big faves in our house too. Love the Dark Horse brewpub too, nice people, nice vibe. And when we score some fresh Founders Harvest, it's damn near unbeatable.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:58 am 

I approve Founders centennial IPA as well.

Schlafly American Pale Ale (APA) is a quality beer for the price. I've had another Schlafly style in the past and remember it was good also.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:43 am 

spiritualleader wrote:
lftwng4 wrote:

Boulder Beer = meh.

I agree with this.

I've only had a few of their beers but most have been tough to get through the bottle. Hazed and Infused I think is pretty decent, but at the same time I have never had an interest in going back to it since that first sampling. If I want an APA. let alone an APA from Colorado, there are better, more appealing options out there. Colorodo's oldest brewery is a nice tag to have I guess but that seems to be all it has going for it that I have yet tasted.

Last edited by Adam on Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:46 am 

NCR600 wrote:
What's your recipe? All-Grain, Extract or Partial?

I only have a couple of swingtops, they're both Altenmunster 2 litre jobs. I probably have about 120 crown seal 750ml Cooper's Longnecks. A few years back they changed to cheap & nasty thin twist top longnecks and their sales fell so sharply that they had to re-introduce them. Seems that the majority of their market was Homebrewers! I certainly prefer Cooper's Sparkling Ale to overpriced Grolsch anyway.

The Belgian was a partial extract but for the Hefe I just went with 6 pounds of DME, the hefe yeast, and hersbrucker hops (although I meant to grab hollertau, I have no idea how I made that mistake). I want to get a very basic hefe to get a baseline and then tweak it later.. I'm looking for something which is something near in taste to the franziskaner brand.

I don't have anything to use as a mashtun for all-grain but for 5 gallon batches I don't see why someone just couldn't use the grain bags.

And you aren't kidding about the Grolsch. I've definitely caught this brewing bug though, it's just awesome.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:29 pm 

lftwng4 wrote:
I kinda feel the same way about Bells too. Although I think Two Hearted is still a great IPA, and Oberon works in the summertime, not too much else they do I care about. Not terrible, but not great. I know there's always the debate if they've changed their recipe from year to year, I dunno, my palate isn't that sophisticated.

When Oberon was called Solsun, long time ago, it was freakin' amazing. They filter it way too much now and it's lost all the character the yeast imparted to it. A few years ago I bought one of those mini-kegs of Oberon and agitated the shit out of it over the course of a few days. When we drank it it tasted like Solsun. I tried it again last year and it didn't work. Not enough yeast left to get suspended in the beer.
Yeah, Two Hearted is still great, but I'm less and less inclined to give them my money, especially with all those other great options around.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:13 pm 

Just bought a Sierra Nevada Torpedo (my first time), a Young's Double Chocolate Stout, two Leffe beers, one Cooper's Vintage stout and a Schofferhofer. I'm in beer heaven.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:26 am 

dickens wrote:
The Belgian was a partial extract but for the Hefe I just went with 6 pounds of DME, the hefe yeast, and hersbrucker hops (although I meant to grab hollertau, I have no idea how I made that mistake). I want to get a very basic hefe to get a baseline and then tweak it later.. I'm looking for something which is something near in taste to the franziskaner brand.

I don't have anything to use as a mashtun for all-grain but for 5 gallon batches I don't see why someone just couldn't use the grain bags.

And you aren't kidding about the Grolsch. I've definitely caught this brewing bug though, it's just awesome.

You pretty much can use a grain bag for doing an all grain brew. Check this out: http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/i ... opic=38674 It's very basic, but it's essentially what I've been doing on a slightly smaller and less involved scale. The site's a good resource for brewing in general, but the Brew in a Bag (BIAB) hasn't really caught on in the USA. Pretty popular out here though, and the only way I can manage to do AG in my small apartment kitchen!

I'm putting down a IIPA tomorrow. That's really gonna push my 36 litre mashtun/kettle to it's limit, 33 litres with the grain in the mash phase and 31 before the boil. It's gonna be real interesting doing the hop additions with almost no boilover space!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:45 pm 

Thanks for the link! That guy made it look easy...which means maybe next week or so I will give it a shot that way.

Whats funny is that whenever I think of brewing beer in Oz, I just picture Chopper Read in a chef hat. Pretty awesome. Haha

I'd add those hops slowly.. Good luck with the IPA!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:55 am 

Liking this alot if only it wasn't so damn expensive in Canada

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:07 am 

StonedAge wrote:

Liking this alot if only it wasn't so damn expensive in Canada

+10000 to Red Chair. Had some last night myself.

I just discovered it last week and been hooked on it ever since. Far and away my best beer discovery since landing upon Firestone Walker's Double Barrel Ale last spring/summer. It's a crime that the Red Chair isn't available year round.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 26 of 73   [ 1806 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 73  Next